[Please note I originally used Ostarine in 2015 and this article does not reflect my current supplement stack. The only supplements I personally use currently are from Red Supplements.]
A while ago, when I discovered Ostarine, I was personally looking for a legal product I could use that would allow me to keep my gains (or at least not lose) from TRT.
I was off TRT for a quite a while, long enough that I should have lost weight…but I didn't.
And that shocked me. I thought the weight would just fly off of me but I didn't lose a single lb.
Not only did I not lose a lb, I didn't lose any strength, I had incredible pumps in the gym and I just plain felt great.
The only product I was using was Ostarine.
“Ostarine is one of the best lean and clean research supplements on the market.”
Testosterone is a very sloppy muscle builder because you add a lot of extra, fatty weight.
Ostarine, on the other hand, is not a steroid or prohormone and does not convert to estrogen.
Because it does not convert to estrogen, Ostarine gives you lean and clean gains.
It gives you less weight gain (and less bloat) but what it does give you is lean and clean.
But Ostarine still causes muscle growth in same manner as steroids.
Ostarine binds to androgen receptors which alters the expression of genes and increases protein synthesis thereby resulting in muscle gains.
It can be used for gaining, cutting (works great during a cal. deficit – preserves muscle), or recomp (shines during recomp) – covers all bases.
Can also be used as a PCT or in between cycles of steroids to keep gains (this is personally how I used it).
Ostarine can minimize recovery periods for those recovering from injuries and surgeries and it can reduce atrophy as a result of surgical procedures.
What Is Ostarine?
Ostarine is a SARM (selective androgen receptor molecule).
A SARM is a compound that is intended to act similarly to an anabolic steroid, but be much more selective in its action. SARMs are considered to possess a wider spectrum of clinical use options when compared to anabolic steroids.
SARMs work just like steroids but do not produce the growth effect on prostate and other secondary organs.
Ostarine in particular exerts its anabolic effects on muscle tissue almost exclusively.
Ostarine was originally developed as a treatment for muscle wasting and muscle loss prevention, specifically in cancer and osteoporosis patients.
Ostarine is still undergoing clinical trials. Eventually it may be a prescription drug used for muscle wasting, atrophy, and hormone and/or testosterone replacement therapy.
Uses: increase and maintenance of lean muscle tissue, increase of stamina, increase of fitness level, effects similar to anabolic steroids
It works by binding to the androgen receptors and increasing protein synthesis thereby resulting in muscle gains.
It is extremely versatile – has been called most well rounded SARM.
Lean muscle gain (bulk):
- Muscle gain on ostarine is significant but not as much as a steroid like dianabol
- All muscle gains will be kept and will be lean gains
- Common bulking dose: 25 mg/day for 4-6 weeks
- Can expect 6 lbs of lean, keepable gains on above cycle
- Though not recommended, users sometimes use doses as high as 35 mg/day – PCT is suggested when dosing this high
Losing body fat (cut):
- Ostarine will maintain muscle mass while reducing calorie intake
- Can cut without needing to worry about muscle or strength loss
- Common cutting dose: 12.5 – 15 mg/day for 4-6 weeks
- Above dosing cycle will have no side effect or suppression
Recomposition (gaining muscle and losing body fat simultaneously):
- This is where Ostarine is very effective
- Ostarine has nutrition partaking effect: calories are taken from fat stores, and calorie intake is fed the muscle tissue
- user report that ostarine taken at maintenance calories produces weight loss while also producing strength and muscle mass
- Since Ostarine is not liver toxic, you can run it longer than 4 weeks for recomp
- Common recomp cycle: 12.5 – 25 mg for 4 – 8 weeks (to get best recomp effect diet must also be optimized to where 1. calories are just above maintenance and 2. 30% of calories are coming from lean protein sources)
- Ostarine has application as a compound to be used for rehab of injuries, particularly bone and tendon related injuries
- This is because Ostarine promotes anabolism in bone as well as skeletal muscle tissue
- Common dose for injury prevention and improvement in joint movement: 12.5 mg/day
- Positive results can be seen in just 6 – 8 days with the above dosing
Benefits Of Ostarine:
- Increases strength and muscle mass
- Good for body recomp (burning fat and building muscle while staying the same weight)
- Excellent endurance and cardio effects
- Known (and developed specifically) for it's joint healing abilities and reducing muscle wasting
- Can be an alternative to HGH
- Can be dosed 1X per day because it has a half life of 24 hours (though I prefer to space out the dosing)
- Minimal side effects
- Significant strength and endurance gains
- Creates a great sense of well being
- Non-toxic to liver and kidneys, has little impact on cholesterol values
- Ability to do more reps in the gym and have better workouts, possesses rapid recovery/faster healing effects
- Great pumps in the gym
- Muscle gains and decreased body fat
- Good energy levels and sense of well being
- Non toxic to liver and kidney so you can theoretically take a week off and go right back on cycle
- No “crash” when coming off cycle (don't even notice it, except the pumps and sense of well being go away)
- Women can use Ostarine because there is no virilization (deepening voice etc)
Possible Negative Side Effects Of Ostarine:
To be perfectly honest, I don't think Ostarine has any side effects. It certainly didn't have any side effects for me (which is why I like it so much).
There are “mixed opinions” on the necessity of using a PCT after an Ostarine cycle. I personally did not feel any PCT is necessary for an Ostarine cycle.
I do not believe Ostarine shuts down your natural testosterone production, but to be on the safe side here are some possible side effects:
- Possible gyno flare up (if you have had it before) → that’s why some people will run a small AI with it
- May cause slight suppression so mini PCT is often recommended (but not by me)
- Increased hunger (this can be good or bad depending in your goal)
The only side effects I get from Ostarine was a headache 4 weeks into my stack.
Any side effects from Ostarine are minimal at best and that is why it is such a good product.
Ostarine Compared To Steroids/Prohormones (Advantages):
- No need for pre cycle supports such as Hawthorn berry.
- No need for on cycle supports such as milk thistle for the liver, policosanol or RYR for cholesterol etc.
- Some suppression may be present at doses of 25mg+ run for longer than 4 weeks, however a stringent PCT of prescription SERMs like Nolva or Clomid is not necessary.
- High oral bioavailability without significant damage to your liver as with oral steroids/prohormones.
- Great sense of well being while on, without the aggression which can often detrimentally impact users daily lives.
- No need for a long time period off between cycles. The recommended time of period for normal cycles would be Time on + PCT, so for a typical 6 week cycle and 4 week PCT, a user would have to wait another 10 weeks after PCT to start another cycle.
Ostarine Dosing Information:
Dosing protocols will vary depending on goals but men will commonly use 25-30 mg per day and women use 12.5 mg per day for cycles of 4 to 12 weeks.
Ostarine can be used for periods of as little as 4 weeks and as long as 12 weeks. A recovery cycle won't be necessary for cycles of 4 weeks in length, however once you span it out to 8-12 weeks then you will need a recovery supplement.
Longer cycles are recommended for optimal results.
For an adult male (kids don't buy this product please), I would personally take a daily dose of 37.5 mgs.
(More not necessary, a lower dose of 25 mg is also good.)
For Ostarine you may want to spread out your dosing to – example: 12.5 mg with breakfast, 12.5 mg with lunch and 12.5 mg with dinner.
I prefer to space out my dosing rather than take the entire dosage at once because it keeps the concentration of Ostarine in the blood steady.
I also find that if I take too much at once it can cause headaches.
3-6 week cycles are best.
The Best Ostarine Diet To Follow:
Dieting is easy. If you want to gain weight you eat more food, if you want to lose weight you eat less food.
For a diet to lose weight you can follow:
- The Old School ‘Steak and Eggs’ Diet for Fat Loss, Balanced Energy, and Increased Testosterone
- The John Doe Diet From Hell outlined in How to Go From Fat to Ripped in 8 Weeks
To gain weight you can follow:
Will Ostarine Be Banned Soon?
Every so often you come across a supplement that is unlike any other supplement.
Every so often you come across a supplement that actually works to build muscle and burn fat.
When you come across these supplements you can rest assured that they are very likely to go away soon.
Every supplement that actually works tends to get banned sooner or later. So when you find these supplements, you need to act quick.
Will Ostarine be banned in all forms soon? We have no idea.
Ostarine in sport and athletics
“Selective androgen receptor modulators may be used by athletes to assist in training and increase physical stamina and fitness, potentially producing effects similar to anabolic steroids. For this reason, SARMs were banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency in January 2008…” (source)