[UPDATE October 1, 2016. Kratom is under threat of becoming illegal in the United States. When I know more, I'll post more information here.]
From the desk of Victor Pride
I don't recommend products lightly. My word is worth its weight in gold and I'd rather go broke than ruin my personal credit.
So when I say something is good, I mean it. Specifically, I mean that I have tried it and loved it.
One rarely sees review posts here at Bold and Determined and for good reason – most products and supplements don't work.
I promise, I try them all. I'm an equal opportunity experimenter and I give everything a fair shot.
Not much lives up to my standards.
But some do…
One of those products that lives up to my standards, a product that I like very much, is called Kratom.
You could say I'm krazy for Kratom.
Kratom was introduced to me in Boise by the Good Looking Loser.
That was over 6 months ago and I've spent 6 months meticulously recording my usage, dosage and thoughts while using Kratom to try and come up with the perfect recipe. It took me nearly 6 months to get it perfect.
I've purchased over $500 worth of product (at friend prices, not retail) to come up with what I believe is the best recipe to get the most bang for your buck every time you use Kratom.
But first, a little background on Kratom…
What is Kratom?
Kratom is a plant, in the same family as coffee (I've come to prefer it over coffee), and it is known for it's mood enhancement, stimulant properties and anxiety relief.
Though it is a plant like coffee it is indeed illegal in some parts of the world.
Where I live, Thailand, it is illegal because in the 1940's opium addicts could no longer afford the Government imposed opium tax so they used Kratom to deal with opiate withdrawals. (source)
Though it is still illegal in Thailand it is still used by two groups of Thais.
- Thais who want to get high by making a drink called 4 X 100 – they mix Kratom with coca cola, ice, cough syrup and whatever else they can come up with. I've never tried 4 X 100 and I never will. I'm not now nor have I ever looked into getting high. What I want is performance enhancement.
- The second group in Thailand who use Kratom are the manual laborers in the south of Thailand who chew Kratom leaves to help them work hard all day and night without crashing.
Note: Yes narcs, Kratom is illegal in Thailand so I only drink it in America or Vietnam where I spend a good deal of time.
Can Kratom be addictive?
Irrelevant to me but maybe relevant to men of weak character. I've never been addicted to any substance in my life and I never will be.
On the other hand, legions of my fellow country men and women are addicted to fattening foods, social media and going into debt. Addiction is for the weak of will and I have zero sympathy for addicts of any kind.
So is Kratom addictive or can it be addictive?
I believe that yes, it can be addictive. Lots of things are addictive to the weak willed.
I said before that Kratom was used as a substitute for Opium. Does that mean Kratom is a narcotic?
No, it doesn't.
Kratom was used to deal with Opium withdrawals. High dose Kratom is a potent pain reliever. Though Kratom acts on the opioid receptor agonist it is not an opiate and it is not a dangerous narcotic like heroin or the pain pills so happily prescribed by incompetent and greedy Doctors of medicine (source).
In fact, Kratom has been successfully used to ween addicts off their addictions (source). Once clean, they can simply stop using Kratom.
I've gone weeks at a time without using Kratom and never experienced withdrawal symptoms, but when I do use Kratom I have more pep in my step and have a better outlook and disposition.
In recent times my two most popular articles were all written normal, they were then edited while I drank my Kratom tea. This editing process gave the articles a very distinctive positive vibe that really resonated with a lot of readers.
Where does Kratom come from?
Kratom comes from the hot climates of Southeast Asia and there are different strains of Kratom, just like there are different types of coffee beans, and each strain can produce slightly different effects. Though Kratom can be found in other places in the world the main strains of Kratom come from:
- Thailand – These leaves include the famous Maeng Da and Red Vein Thai strains and tend to be energetic or “fast”
- Indonesia – These strains can be moderate, energetic or sedative
- Malaysia – These strains tend to be moderate and less energetic
- Bali/Borneo – These strains tend to be sedative or slow
Why do I use Kratom?
- My buddy Chris said to me “Kratom makes me do everything. Without Kratom I wouldn't have built what I built“. The guy is the only other guy on planet earth who does what I do for a living. Very successful I will add. When other successful people make recommendations I listen.
- Normally in the afternoon from about 3-7pm I am just shutdown. I'm beat. I'm useless. The worst part about the afternoon hours is that I get “brain fog”. On Kratom the brain fog just goes away and I don't feel rundown. On Kratom I feel peppy, happy, ready to work and just plain good. I never work at night, but on the days I've ingested Kratom I'm often lying in bed past 11-12 (I'm an early-to-bedder) finishing work while I receive my nightly massage from my little angel.
To put it simply Kratom makes me feel happier and I'm even nicer to people and more open and ready for long conversations. If you know me, you know I have no patience for this type of thing. Not so on Kratom.
On “bad days”, Kratom makes the bad go away. Kratom gives me a feeling of well-being but not sedation. I always want to work when using Kratom.
Kratom vs Alcohol
I don't drink alcohol, I don't go to bars and I don't go to the local dance market to pick up sluts. But if I did I would use Kratom instead of alcohol. On alcohol you turn into a slobbering mess and often puke and have a hangover. On Kratom, taken the right way (explained below in my recipe) I have zero negative effects and only positive side effects.
Kratom vs Modafinil
Kratom and Modafinil are two completely different beasts and don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same category. Kratom is like a really strong, longer lasting coffee and Modafinil is a strong nootropic. Both are great, both have their uses, but they are completely dissimilar.
Kratom vs Weed
So sorry friends, I have never in my life been high so I cannot give you details regarding Kratom vs Weed.
Kratom vs Benzodiazepines
If I were to compare Kratom to any substance it would be Benzodiazepines but with a few changes that make Kratom the better choice. Benzos can be and are highly addictive and Benzos are notorious for making you sleepy and slow, often slurring your movement and speech.
In my experience Kratom does not have these unwanted effects but Kratom does have the relaxing effect of Benzos but with a desire to GTD (get things done) and not just “veg out” like a pill-head zombie burnout.
Kratom has the unique ability to calm and energize at the same time.
Note: I always take Xanax on long haul flights so I can sleep. The more I fly the more I hate it and Benzos help with turbulence anxiety. The last time I flew to America, a 10 hour flight, I took a red-eye (a night flight) and was able to sleep an entire 8 hours un-interrupted with the help of Xanax. Normally it's impossible for me to sleep on airplanes. In other situations, Kratom is a much better and safer choice.
Is Kratom legal in your country?
Some countries regard Kratom as a narcotic, some don't. It's legal in nearly every State in the USA (source).
Kratom is legal in the following countries (subject to change without warning – check your local laws before you order):
- Kratom is legal in most United States except for Indiana and Tennessee.
- United Kingdom
Kratom is or appears to be illegal in:
- New Zealand
- South Korea
How do you ingest Kratom?
Kratom comes in two ways: plant matter (crushed leaves) and whole leaves. I have only ever used the plant matter and I have only ever ingested Kratom in two ways. I will explain both and which method I think is the best.
- Drink it with juice – Most people just drop the Kratom into a Gatorade bottle with some juice, milk, even protein shakes, mix it up and drink it. This is the easiest method on earth to take Kratom. Personally I don't like this method for three reasons 1) It tends to make my stomach hurt drinking all that plant matter mixed with juice and 2) it gives me constipation if I drink it approximately 3 days in a row (your results may vary) and 3) I can't do this more than one day in a row and get quality effects. This method is appropriate for 1-3 times per week in my opinion.
- Make a Tea – My favorite method and the only way I drink Kratom. No adverse side effects for me, with the exception of blunting hunger (good for dieting) and some mild bloat (coffee does the same thing to me when I drink a lot of it). My tea method is time consuming but I have a personal chef so no problem. Kratom tastes horrible but the way I have it made it really just does taste like a tea. It can be time consuming to make so plan ahead or get yourself a nice little girl who wants to please and isn't scared of the kitchen (relax, it really is easy to make).
The way I ingest the Kratom makes a huge difference.
The drink with juice method has given me unsteady results – one day it's great, then the next day I would feel nothing. I was never able to use two days in a row. Always on the second day I would not get any benefits. I got the best results using this method only once per week. Once per week usually worked very well.
When I make the tea I always get the same results – clean pep, clean focus, clean energy and clean mood. In fact, in my results log I often have large entries for each time I used the drink with juice method because I didn't have great results every time. The entries in my results log for each time I made and ingested Kratom tea are noticeably short because it worked so well I was busy doing other things rather than complaining in my log.
I personally recommend the tea, I'd not go back to drinking the plant matter. In fact, before I perfected the tea recipe I thought I would simply give up Kratom forever because the results were so hit or miss and I didn't like drinking the plant matter. I don't often drink Kratom tea more than one day in a row, but when I do I get results each time.
Each person is different and will need to experiment a little bit to find the right method.
I must say, I'm glad I didn't give Kratom up because I've perfected what I think is the perfect tea recipe and the results are fantastic.
Where to buy Kratom?
I have only ever purchased Kratom from Happy Hippo Herbals. I cannot and will not give a recommendation for any other store or the quality of any of product. My experience is 100% from Happy Hippo.
I know the owner, Chris the Good Looking Loser personally, and I know you won't be screwed or scammed. I vouch personally for Happy Hippo.
Which Kratom to buy?
There are different strains of Kratom and they have different effects. Everybody is different and everybody will prefer different strains.
The first 3-4 weeks will likely be a trial and error phase while you figure out what works for you. I didn't “get” Kratom until about my 5th or 6th time using it, then I immediately realized why the Good Looking Loser spoke so highly of Kratom.
One thing to remember: you want to buy good Kratom or no Kratom at all. They sell this stuff in capsule form at gas stations and at those shops where stoners go. Stay away from this stuff, it's garbage sold to make a quick buck on the gullible and desperate.
Don't buy Kratom extracts, just buy crushed Kratom leaves (what I use and review below) or buy whole leaves if you have a quality source.
From the owner of Happy Hippo Herbals…
It's the extracts that give the compound a bad name. They are strong, addictive and just like taking large doses of narcotics. I could make a lot of money selling the extracts (people love them at first) but I know that these will literally ruin people's lives and bank accounts. If Kratom is ever regulated in the U.S., it will be because of the extract and the irresponsible vendors that promote them.
Below are the products I have used and enjoyed. These are all crushed leaf strands from Happy Hippo (I have never used another source).
I have used 8 different strands of Kratom and I have taken exhaustive notes each time I have used Kratom.
I will condense my notes from each strand into one or two sentences and give an approval rating from A-F.
- Happy Hippo 1 (Bali/Indo Fusion)
This strand gets an A grade from me. I have always had pleasant experiences with this strand.
- Happy Hippo 2 (Red-vein Indo)
This strand gets a B grade from me because it has been slightly hit or miss. Tea is good, drinking it with juice was hit or miss. If I drank Kratom one day per week this strand would work great, but if I drank this strand after drinking another strand the day before I wouldn't get any benefits.
- Magic Hippo
This strand gets a grade of B+ from me because when it's “on” it's great, but I did have some issues with the drinking with juice method and not “feeling it” (Magic is currently out of stock but Mojo is the best and current replacement for Magic Hippo).
- Sleepy Hippo
This strand gets an A+ from me, it's my favorite strand (unfortunately at this moment in time it is out of stock).
Despite the deceptive name it does not make me sleepy, it makes me want to work, do deals, make money, run business and kick butt. I love it.
- Busy Green Hippo (Green-Vein Thai)
This strand gets a C- from me when I drink with juice but as a tea it gets a B-.
- Pleasant Green Hippo
I give this strand a B+ grade when I drink it with juice but as a tea it gets an A grade. This one is one of my top two or three favorites (unfortunately at present Pleasant Green is out of stock. I have it on good authority that mixing Busy Green Hippo with Bali would basically mimic the Pleasant Green effect).
- White Hippo (White-Vein Borneo)
I didn't like this one very much when I used the drink with juice method but as a tea I like it very much, B+/A- range.
- Bali Hippo (Top Shelf Bali)
This strand is my least favorite and I'd give it a C-. I've had about a 25% success rate with this one.
How to make your first order of Kratom
- Read the All About Kratom – Bold and Determined special edition article. The information covered in that article is astounding and should answer many questions not covered in this article. You don't need to rush into buying anything without having a clear plan in mind (even though I did).
- Go to Happy Hippo Herbals and place your order.
- Never drink the same strand two days in a row, it will lose it's effect. Rule of thumb is one strand one time per week.
- If you're new don't use Kratom more than one day in a row.
- Use Kratom 1-2 days per week max until you figure out what works for you.
- 8 grams spread throughout the day should be a good dose for a beginner. I still use 8-10 grams with my Kratom tea.
- Kratom tea is fantastic if you make it the night before, store it in the refrigerator and drink it cold the next day.
- Enjoy yourself and have a nice day.
Until next time.
Bonus: How to make the ultimate clean Kratom tea – Complete recipe from A-Z
Step 1 – Measure 8 grams of Kratom, put the Kratom in a pot.
Step 2 – Add one liter of water to the pot (that's one and a half standard 600 ml water bottles) and stir the solution with a spoon for 30 seconds to one minute.
Step 3 – Put the pot on a burner and set heat to medium. Cook like this for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The timing is not of the utmost importance, my chef forgets all the time.
Step 4 – After 20-30 minutes turn off the heat, remove the pot from the heat and let the solution sit for 15 minutes. Eventually the powder will sink to the bottom (just like it would in your stomach). When the powder sinks to the bottom and the solution has cooled a little you are ready for the next step.
Step 5 – Use coffee filter to separate the liquid tea from the plant matter. A coffee filter will remove 100% of the plant matter and leave you with only tea. We put a small food strainer over a coffee mug then put a coffee filter in the strainer and let the tea strain through.
After the tea has passed through the coffee filter it is ready to drink. But we're not finished yet…
Step 6 – You now have leftover plant matter that can be re-used, dump the leftover powder from the coffee filter back into the pot. It's time to re-cook it and make batch #2 (the tea will now turn into a much nicer, darker and richer color).
Step 7 – Add 1 liter of water to the already cooked powder. Set the burner to medium and cook again for 20-30 minutes (repeat process 2-6).
Step 8 – When the tea has again been filtered through the coffee filter you now have a completely clean tea free from plant matter. Add lemon and honey if you wish (I drink straight) and enjoy your drink.
Pictured: Kratom tea. On the left is the first tea we cooked. On the right is the twice cooked tea which, for some reason, always has a rich, deep, dark and terrific color.