Boys, I get a lot of questions about how I actually make money from a blog. Today I’m going to tell you.
I’m going to show you income and expense figures from last month.
Well…lately I’ve been searching for websites to buy. I’ve been looking for income producing websites or websites with promise.
My goal was to buy a website for a modest investment of $5,000 USD or so and turn the site profitable. Just for a bit of fun, and to show the Gentlemen Wolf readers what is possible.
While endlessly looking through all the ‘for sale’ sites it dawned on me: If I were just starting out this would feel hopeless.
None of the websites I saw for sale at a reasonable price were producers, but worse than that none of the websites even had potential. They were all point and click template websites developed to sell to people who don’t know what they’re doing.
The websites for sale were never designed to be real websites, they were designed to sell to newbies to the online money game. They were full of pictures of hot cars and hotter women but that’s all they were. “Take the money and run. Show them pictures of Blond Babes in Bikinis and the idiots will buy anything!“.
I’m not going to waste money buying a worthless website to show you how to do it. What I’m going to do instead is expose my entire operation and show you how I get things done and show you that it is indeed possible to make money online.
You know what they say, if you want something done right you’ve got to do it yourself.
The Bold and Determined Enterprise
I want to make one thing very clear: I am not an internet marketer and never have been. Internet marketers are a bunch of “take the money and run” scum artists. I’m a businessman, motivation is my business, Bold and Determined is my empire and what you’ll see below took me a long time to build.
The Bold and Determined empire currently consists of 3 websites. The main blog and our two satellite sites. The 2 satellite sites orbit around Bold and Determined, like Phobos and Deimos orbit Mars (the God of War). These 3 sites are all completely interconnected and part of the same enterprise.
- Bold and Determined is the Website for Winners ™, the blog that everybody can read and enjoy for free. Always has been free and always will be free.
- 30 Days of Discipline is an e-book. It’s the Bootcamp for Winners and it’s our flagship product. My life changed when I started following what I have outlined in 30 Days of Discipline. I started making money online when I developed and followed 30 Days of Discipline (not from sales, because I gave it away for free for 6 months before I ever put a price tag on it) but because the habits are powerful for focus and motivation. I get readers emails every single day saying how much it has helped to change their lives. For reference I started following 30 Days of Discipline in early October 2011. You can go to the archives page to look and see at the night and day difference in quality of writing and output before and after September/October 2011. As far as I am concerned anything I ever wrote before I initiated the 30 Days of Discipline protocol could easily be trashed. (Buy it here).
- Body of a Spartan is a bodybuilding and strength training e-book. It’s the ultimate guide to insane strength and physique building for the natural trainer. I followed this plan to a T for an entire year before I ever wrote it down. It works like magic. (Buy it here).
The Bold and Determined enterprise makes money in two ways: e-book sales and from affiliate marketing. If you’re unfamiliar with affiliate marketing in simple terms it means that if I recommend a product and you buy it I make a commission.
I have never allowed outside advertising, sponsored posts or sponsored links on Bold and Determined and the only products that appear on the site are products that I like and approve personally. I have never advertised Bold and Determined and I have never used any SEO voodoo trickery to get better rankings on google.
The only way I have ever gotten readers is by writing winning content that inspires. Like Frank Sinatra I did it all My Way and below I will show you exactly how well doing things my way has paid off.
Below I will outline the income, expenses and profit report for the month of November 2013. Instead of showing you some pictures of hot tubs, or mansions, or (rented) sports cars I’m going to show you the nuts and bolts of a real, successful blog.
Go get yourself a coffee, tell your girlfriend not to bother you, put the kids to bed, go to the toilet and take care of business, and then come back and give this your full attention.
And let’s party…
Income Breakdown from November 2013:
(Legal disclaimer: The November income sheet may not may not necessarily reflect the actual payment which may change because of potential refunds or corrections. Some of the income listed may have been earned up to 6 months prior, but paid in November. Some income received in November may be excluded from this list. Some of the links below are affiliate links and some aren’t. The affiliate list below is not inclusive of every business Bold and Determined is affiliated with. The income and expense sheet below is to be used for entertainment purposes only and is no guarantee of what any other business may make.)
- E-book sales: $9,288
- 30 Days of Discipline $5,410
- Body of a Spartan $3,878
- HostGator affiliate sales: $569.48
- I’ve been using HostGator for my website hosting for over 5 years now and I won’t switch. I’d like to get my servers offshore, but I won’t because HostGator’s customer service blows away everything else.
- ClickBank affiliate sales: $165.39
- The only product on clickbank I recommend is Classic Body Now by Matt Marshall (<—Don’t go there, it has been hacked).
- StudioPress affiliate sales: $104.94
- StudioPress is the organization behind Genesis Theme. I use Genesis themes and they are the best of the best.
- Amazon affiliate sales: $813.96
- IronMagLabs affiliate sales $702.44
- These are old, old Super-DMZ sales that I was finally paid on.
- Gross Total Income: $11,644.21
Expense Breakdown from November 2013:
(The list of expenses below may not be inclusive of every payment made in November. Some expenses may have physically been paid in November but deemed as necessary to another month’s expense report. Some expenses may have been incurred in November but not necessarily paid in November.)
- HostGator web hosting $244.06
- PayPal fees $518.57
- MailChimp email management $75
- Affiliate payments $483.28
- E-junkie shopping cart software $5
- Stock photos $36
- Hello Bar $29.95 (I have since cancelled this service)
Gross Total Income: $11,644.21 –
Total Expenses: $1,391.86 =
Total Profit: $10,252.35
Notes from Vic
There you have it, boys. No blonde babes in bikinis trying to sell you a dream, but you’ve got the nuts and bolts of a successful, boot-strapped operation.
The biggest earner for the enterprise is the ebooks. That’s not an accident. When you create your own product you are in control, when you rely on advertising or affiliate marketing you aren’t in control. Not only are the books the biggest earner but it’s also income by the minute. Each time an order is made the enterprise is paid, and the money can be withdrawn the very same day. Affiliates will pay you up to two months later or longer. As for advertisers, well, I don’t allow outside advertising so who cares how much or when they pay.
The expense report is what the normal monthly expenses to run the empire look like, but may not be a 100% accurate reflection of what was paid in November. Bold and Determined has quietly been doing some background upgrading and some expenses paid in November may not be deemed as necessary to run the enterprise and may not be included in the expense report. Expenses are growing though and will be significantly higher from this point forward. Price of success – Pay to play – Spend money to make money.
If you’d like to start a blog
Aspiring bloggers need to read the So You Want to Be a Professional Blogger series.
For the “computer illiterate” who want to get started blogging but don’t know how you can use BADNET to install your blog for you free of charge (and get some free reports).
Happy late Thanksgiving
Friends, I don’t often say these two words but thank you for coming here to the Website for Winners ™ and an extra special thank you if you bought one of our products. Bold and Determined is growing, and as we grow we are only going to get better. That’s an absolute guarantee.
Until next time.